Make Your Own Starter Set!
March 14, 2018
We are ecstatic that so many of you are huge Munchkin Collectible Card Game fans! In fact, you love it so much that our supply of Ranger & Warrior, Cleric & Thief, and Wizard & Bard starter sets is quickly shrinking. We thank you for your support – we are truly happy to have so many passionate players out there battling it out, Munchkin-style.
However, we realize that this might pose a problem for those of you who haven’t had the chance to purchase one or more starter sets at local game stores. To help you out, we’ve come up with a solution to tide you over until the second run of our starter sets hits store shelves.
Booster packs to the rescue!
There are still plenty of Munchkin Collectible Card Game booster packs available at game stores. You can use the alternate-art Hero cards and Ally, Location, Loot, and Monster cards matching your Hero’s class (or Neutral cards) to create a unique deck featuring your Hero of choice. If you don't want to hunt for a Hero card in the boosters, you can download this PDF of the six base Heroes, usable only in casual play. There are a few rules for building your deck that you need to remember:
- You must choose one Hero card to go with your deck.
- Your deck must contain exactly 40 cards, not counting your Hero.
- You may not have more than three copies of a particular card.
- You may use only Neutral cards or Class cards that match your Hero card.
Auxiliary materials will help you out.
But cards aren’t the only thing you get in a starter set! You also need tokens for your stockpile, a Run Away marker, a way to keep track of your level, a six-sided die for die rolls, and rules.
- We’ve created this PDF that you can print out to get tokens for your stockpile and a Run Away marker.
- To keep track of your level, you can use our Munchkin Level Counter, available for both iOS and Android devices. Of course, you can instead use two 10-sided dice, counters that are distinct from the other tokens (such as small coins), or simply write your level down.
- The die included in each of our starter sets is a regular six-sided die, so any six-sided die you already own will work. If you have our Munchkin Level Counter app, this includes a die roller as well.
- To help guide you and your friends as you play the Munchkin Collectible Card Game for the first time, we’ve posted the quick-start rules in this PDF. If you need more detailed information, the comprehensive rules are located on our website.
The work will be worth it!
Even if you aren’t able to purchase a starter set until the second run is in stores, you can still create your own deck and learn to play the game with booster packs. This way, you will end up with a unique deck tailored to your specific needs. If you need tips on how to create competitive decks, read our Building a Constructed Deck article.